Tuesday, January 6, 2009

3G Mobile Broadband on Fedora Core 10

Recently I decided to evaluate the latest release of Fedora Core. There is no doubt that Linux has improved exponentially as a desktop OS in the last few years, but I was really impressed with this release. The latest feature to really impress me is how easy they've made it to connect to the internet using a 3G mobile broadband connection.

I've been connecting to the internet using mobile phones (via bluetooth), and 3G cards for a few years now. I've never struggled too much, but I could understand why someone completely new to Linux would have had a hard time. Firstly, you always had to know what AT commands you needed to use as init strings for the modem. If your 3G connection was your only connection, this could have been a bit of a problem for you.

With Fedora Core 10, it's only a couple of clicks before you're connected and happily surfing the net.




  1. Right-Click the Gnome network-manager icon on your toolbar and select "Edit Connections..."




  2. Click on the "Mobile Broadband" tab and then the "Add" button.




  3. If your 3G USB modem is connected, it should pick it up for you. Click "OK" to continue.




  4. Enter a name for this connection and your APN (Access Point Name) and click "Apply".

    note:

    • If you are unsure what your APN is, contact your service provider; they will be able to tell you.

    • If your network requires a username/password, enter these values, my network does not require authentication.

    • If your SIM is secured by a PIN number, enter this as well.






  5. Left-click the network-manager icon again, and click on the connection you have just created.




  6. A second or 2 later, you should be in business.




Apparently Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10) has made this even easier, including a list of service providers to choose from and hot-plug support for the modem; never the less, I was impressed!

7 comments:

  1. I own a Sierra Wireless 875U modem. It's been a hit and miss affair, getting it to work on my machines. I say "machines", because I have been wanting to share my wireless broadband between a number of machines. What I was unsuccessfully trying to do was to create a Linux-based broadband router. I think I finally found a solution I will be happy with: a Cradlepoint (cradlepoint.com) MBR1000 cellular router.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I use my Linux laptop with a 3G modem as a router for a laptop, desktop and WII on my wireless network and it works perfectly. The principles are the same as for routing using any other internet connection in Linux. I wouldn't bother wasting money on a cellular/3G router especially when it won't be as flexible and will almost certainly be slower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cradlepoint is not the only option.
    If you have the Sierra Wireless PCMCIA version, you could get linksys 3g router and it will achieve the same thing like cradlepoint.

    I tried the linksys 3g router, and it works. I am able to share the 3g connection between my wifi mobile phone and my notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. when i am following this instructions ,in step 3 , there is not available first option.so why ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3g Mobile Broadband Services Like simply selling an all-inclusive Mobile Broadband service - regardless of ... Two thirds of all tablets sold with integrated 3G, though not all user activate this Mobile broadband HSPA


    ReplyDelete
  6. Mobile broadband business models 3G LTE Networks is changing the face of business. Ericsson created mobile broadband over twenty years ago and since then

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an interesting information..... Keep updating your blog. Thanks a lot for the share.... Thanks!
    Linksys Router Technical Support

    ReplyDelete